Top Windows Xp Secrets
Windows Xp contains a whole lot of hidden features.
Most of the people did not know about those hidden features of windows xp.
Here are the few secrets which i know in windows xp and just want to share all those secrets with you all.
Time Saving WinXp Key Shortcuts :
- Windows key + D >> Shows the desktop.
- Windows key + M >> Minimizes all open windows.
- Windows key + Shift + M >> Maximizes all open windows.
- Windows key + E >> Runs Windows Explorer.
- Windows key + R >> Shows the RUN dialog.
- Windows key + F >> Shows Search window.
- Windows key + Break >> Shows System Properties box.
- Windows key + TAB >> Go through taskbar applications.
- ALT + TAB >> Cycle through opened applications.
Lock Windows To Protect The Computer :
- Create a shortcut with the path rundll32.exeuser32.dll, LockWorkStation.
- The Windows key + L is also a shortcut to this feature.
View All Softwares That Can Be Removed From Your Computer:
- Manually edit (using notepad for example) the sysoc.inf file located in Windows\inf\. Just remove the word hide next to the software pack.
Access The Task Manager Easier :
- You can make a shortcut that points to %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
- Use key combinations Ctrl+Shift+Esc
Windows Has A Task Kill Feature Similar To Linux :
- Go to a command prompt and run the command tasklist to see running processes with PID numbers. Then type tskill to end the specific task. This forces an instant closing of the task.
Edit Xp Features By Running gpedit.msc :
- You can add log on/log off scripts here and many more features.
Edit User Accounts :
- By running "control userpasswords2" at the command prompt.
Use The systeminfo.exe Command In The Command Prompt :
- Use this to see System Information, including all Windows updates and hotfixes.
There Are System Services That You Can Disable To Free Up The System's Load :
- To access the interface that permits you to make changes to system's services, type services.msc at the command prompt.The list of services that are usually useless are available here.
IF Your System Wont Restart :
- If your system failes to start due to an error related to missing HAL.DLL, invalid Boot.ini or any other critical system boot files you can repair this by using the XP installation CD.
- Simply boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console.
- Then run "attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file and delete it.
- Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild" and then Fixboot.
Thursday, March 29, 2007 written by Ankit Agrawal